Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Crystal Hot Springs

My extended family on my dad's side goes camping every year together over the first weekend in October. We go to watch General Conference, as well as to have fun together. In the past, they have camped at Cherry Hill, Crystal Hot Springs, as well as in my parent's back yard. The only one I had been able to participate in up to this point was the back yard camp out. This year, the family had decided to camp at Crystal Hot Springs again. I was in luck, because my schedule allowed me to attend this year. It was also perfect timing, because this trip was going to be the "jumping off point" for my birthday extravaganza, seeing as how I had never been to Crystal Hot Springs.

Friday afternoon rolled around, and we packed everything up in the trailer and cars. The group going up was my dad, my mom, Annie, me, my two dogs, Linus and Augusta, and my brother's dog, Bruce. We would be taking my dad's truck and my mom's SUV, so we lined the back seat of my mom's car with sheets and blankets for the dogs to ride on, with my mom and I in the front seats, and Annie rode with my dad in his truck. (She's a bit allergic to the dogs, but she puts up with them for me, bless her.) We (and by we, I mostly mean my dad, because he is the gadget guru of the family) had to take our portable fire pit, a TV and speakers (for conference), as well as all of the other stuff we are accustomed to for camping. We also threw in three guitars, coolers, duffel bags, and all of the other stuff we needed to get us through the weekend. Our favorite quote for camping is from "A Goofy Movie." Goofy is trying to get Max to go camping, and "get away from it all." Max responds, "I don't want to get away from it all. I LIKE it all." This is apparent when it takes two cars and a trailer to take four people and three dogs camping. But, we got it all in, and we were on our way!

Upon arrival at the campsite, my mom went and got us all checked in. It was slightly difficult for us to figure out exactly where our campsites were, because, shockingly enough, we were the first people to arrive! We got the dogs tied up (rules required by the campsite) and started setting up camp. Not long after that, other people began to show up. My parent's and Annie would be sleeping in the pop-up tent trailer, but with the three dogs under my supervision, I was in a tent. (Trust me, all things considered, it's just easier that way. :) ) Annie helped get the trailer set up and get our site ready for the weekend, while I put up my tent and got my air mattress and sleeping bag ready. Grandma Snow had already said she was going to make stew and scones for dinner (which was DELICIOUS) for everyone, so we had nothing to do after that but sit back and relax. We also received word that evening that Renate George, my brother-in-law Dennis' mother, had passed away. She had been very ill, and the death was expected, but that doesn't take away the pain. For this reason, my sister Sarah and Dennis did not join us camping.

The next day, I woke up with the sun, but lay in my tent for a while, listening to the rest of the family wake up. The sounds of breakfast are what finally pulled me out of bed. Breakfast was a group meal that morning, with pancakes, eggs, hash browns, sausages, and fruit. I love camping breakfast! Then we sat and watched/listened to the first session of conference. I'm terrible at remembering who said what and in what session, but I remember conference was really good, as always.

Our little view of conference
Grandma watching conference in the shade (everyone
else was watching, too, they just didn't fit in the picture.)

In between sessions, the original plan was for some of us to drive out to the Golden Spike and the Spiral Jetty, two more things on my list, but it was decided there just wouldn't be time to do it, and two trips out would just be too much. Since my Aunt Caryl had volunteered to take me to those two, she promised me she would find a day to make it happen. I wasn't too worried about the postponement. Caryl is one of the most responsible people I know! So instead of venturing off into the west, we relaxed and Annie made our family a yummy lunch of hoagie sandwiches. Have I mentioned I love camping food?

Lunch (from left to right) Nate, Carrie, Caryl, Joe, Kirsten, Ryan

After the second session of conference, I convinced Annie to go over to the pool and hot springs with me. That was an.....interesting experience. There was a regular old swimming pool, three hot spring tubs, and a wading pool, which I think was also from the springs. The night before, when we had checked in at about the same time, the pool area only had about ten people there, most of which were children. This night, the place was PACKED. We walked out of the locker room and looked around to see where our time would be best spent. We approached the first hot spring tub, and I stepped in. I promptly stepped right back out. It was HOT! We tried the next tub, and it's temperature was much more pleasant. We sat in there for a little bit, and chatted with an older couple from Salt Lake. I'm not sure how long they had lived in Salt Lake, or if they were visiting the hot springs while on their vacation to Salt Lake, because they had a very strong accent and their English wasn't the best I've heard. For example, when I asked the where they were from, they asked me what I meant. But they were very nice. We wanted to try the next tub, but it was occupied by three older men. We didn't really feel the need to wander over there until they were gone. They left eventually, and we gave the third tub a try. It felt nearly as hot as the first one, but little by little, we were able to ease our way in. Once we got used to it, it was very relaxing. A young couple had joined us in this tub, and we chatted with them for a while. When we were done in the third tub, we went for a dip in the pool for about a minute to cool down and wash the "minerals" off. Annie had an orange stripe across her back from the water level of the hot springs.

We traipsed our way back to camp, where my wonderful mother had been making tinfoil dinners for us. My dad had left halfway through the second session, because he needed to be back in our home stake for the priesthood session to help with the technical side of things there. I went and showered while dinner finished cooking, and came back to guitars and campfire singing. We weren't really around a fire, but it works. All this while, my amazing mother had also been keeping an eye on the three dogs for me, who were "locked up" in my tent. All in all, they were pretty good while I was gone. We sang more songs, made s'mores (my Aunt Carrie introduced me to the beauty of making them with Reese's peanut butter cups!) and mingled with the family. My dad came back and brought my sister Rachel with him, who had driven up from Provo. They also brought cake and ice cream with them, because it was my grandfather's birthday. (He passed away in 1995, but we still try to recognize his birthday.) So we lit candles and sang, and there was ice cream all around.

Most people were off to bed at this point, but Annie had brought Iron Man 2 along with her, and we decided to watch it. So, we plugged in the portable DVD player, and my parent's went to bed on the other end of the trailer while Annie, Rachel, our cousin Braxten and I attempted to watch the movie. Brooke, a cousin, came knocking on our door not long after. Her three-year-old daughter was having a night terror, and needed a blessing. The screaming had woken up Brooke's 10-month-old twin boys, so her husband was busy trying to get them calmed down. Braxten went and got his step-dad, Nate, and by that time, Brooke's husband Wade was able to join us. The three of them were able to give her a blessing, and she was able to wake up and calm down. I'm glad Brooke knew she could ask for help. I'm also glad to have the power of the priesthood in my life. We tried to continue watching the movie, but one by one, we all fell asleep. We turned it off, and all went to our beds.

Sunday morning came, and I joined my family in the trailer for cereal and hot chocolate. We watched the morning session of conference, and I started on lunch, which was my responsibility. I had decided on chicken salad in pita pockets. Rachel helped me chop and slice everything, and lunch was delicious. We then started packing up camp, so that we could be out of there as quickly as possible after the last session of conference. After conference was over, we took everything down and packed it all out. My cousin Kirsten had her boyfriend up there, and he was very helpful, just pitching in wherever he could see help was needed. (Kirsten, hang on to him!) We managed to get everything back in, and we made our way home. My mom and I stopped to take some pictures of the scenery, which was absolutely beautiful, and eventually made it home. With all five of us, it didn't take long to get the cars unloaded and get everything put away. I think the dogs were the ones most excited to be home. Overall, a great trip!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about myself. :) Also, you forgot to mention our video viewing of "White Knuckles" and how it took 45 minutes for it to load, so we had to watch it twice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I forget that? Man, I need to remember better. If it makes you feel any better, I facebooked about it... kind of... (Don't you love how we love elipses?)

    ReplyDelete