Tuesday, October 5, 2010

You try and you try...

Monday morning I woke up and got ready for the day. I had a date with my friend, Misti! She was going to go with me to donate blood (the Red Cross calls me every 8 weeks to set up an appointment for me to donate) and my research had told me that if I wanted to put my name on the bone marrow donor list, I could walk into any Red Cross center, and they would be able to make all my dreams come true.

So, I went and met Misti at her house, we packed her three-year-old daughter, Tempe, in the minivan and drove to the Red Cross. They were kind of confused as to why I had brought someone with me, and when we explained we both wanted to put our names on the donor list for bone marrow, they looked at us and told us they didn't do that. Sorry for the confusion, Misti! I thought I had researched it enough, but apparently I should have called ahead. Well, I donated my blood, anyway, during which we discussed my plans for that evening. My old roommate was having her wedding reception that evening at Sundance, and I was planning on going with my friend, Jaycelyn. The two of us were going to go and ride the Alpine Slide (which is on my list) and then drive the Alpine Loop to look at the fall colors, and end up at Sundance for the wedding reception. Misti was extremely jealous, not because she wanted to come for the slide or the ride, but because of the wedding. My friend married Donny Osmond's oldest son, and apparently Misti is a big Donny fan. She really wanted to come, but couldn't abandon her family all day. Sorry again, Misti!

We ran a few errands together, then went back home. I finished installing a new car stereo in my Jeep (apparently, a week long project) and Jayce met me at my house. I grabbed clothes for the reception, and we were off. I had to stop at Target on our way to Park City to grab the finishing touches for the wedding gift. Jayce didn't think it would be a good idea, because it would take too long. I promised her we would be in and out in ten minutes. We made it in twelve, which isn't bad!

We got on the road and popped in the new Glee soundtrack I had picked up while we were in Target, and sang along with Rachel and Finn all the way to the Park City Mountain Resort. We found the ticket window (he was attractive!) and hopped on the ski lift. There was a lot of great scenery on the way up, and we took a lot of pictures. As we approached the top, it started to sprinkle a little bit. As we got off the ski lift, we were informed that the slide was on a "rain hold." We got to wait in the "photo shack," which was really just a log cabin about twelve feet by twelve feet with filmed over windows and lots of flies. A suburban came to take us back down the mountain, but the people already waiting in the shack filled up the seats. We were OK with waiting, so back in the shack we went. More and more people showed up, including an Asian family from North Carolina here for a NuSkin convention, a young family from Utah, and a few other people (among which were a lot more attractive guys). Just as one of the guys was saying it wouldn't be raining for much longer, lightning hit the ski lift pole, and a wire providing electricity to the shack sparked and the ski lift stopped. Then there was and enormous crack of thunder. Yikes! Luckily, the suburban showed up for the next group, and since we had been there the longest, we were first in line for the next ride down. (The driver was also quite attractive. I think it must be a requirement to get a job there.) We climbed in the the back of the car with the Asian family, and they asked for advice of places they could see in SLC while they were in town. We told them of a few places, and the father was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to see the inside of the temple. I suggested he stop by the visitor's center, where he could see pictures and a model of the inside.As we got to the bottom of the slide, we said our goodbyes and one of the employees signed our tickets so we could use them again. We stopped by the gift shop and I bought a lapel pin (I collect them from all of the different places I go) and we ran back to the car in the now pouring rain.

We made our way down to the Alpine Loop, a scenic highway which encircles Mt. Timpanogos. There was some concern that we were too late for the fall colors, but we saw plenty. We stopped at the visitor's center at the Timpanogos Caves and changed into our wedding attire, and continued on our way. We arrived right on time for the reception, but it was so packed, we had to park up on the mountain and a shuttle took us to the right place. I'm not a huge fan of receptions, so I dropped off my gift, signed the book, and said hello to a couple of friends. There was no official receiving line, so the bride and groom and parents were just mingling. I saw Donny Osmond from a distance, but didn't even get close to talking to him or meeting him. Eh, I used to sell dog food to Marie all of the time. We found the bride and groom, gave our congratulations, and then left. We were the only ones on the shuttle back to our car, so we chatted it up with the driver. He was REALLY good at his job! We had parked halfway across the parking lot from where the shuttle picked us up, and when we left the parking lot, the shuttle was as full as it could be, but when he took us back up to the lot, he knew exactly which car was ours and dropped us off right next to it. If I'd had cash on me, I would have tipped him. Blast!
We drove back down the mountain and back home, luckily avoiding a lot of the construction going on in Utah Valley. Jayce played DJ with her iPod, and she knew just the right songs for me. She's so great!

So, I was 0-2 for the day, but it was still a super fun one!

No comments:

Post a Comment