Friday, October 8, 2010

Five Guys

Today I decided to experience the culinary flavorings of Five Guys Burgers. I didn't do anything on the "list" yesterday, so my boss gave me homework. She told me I needed to do at least one thing every day this weekend. So, dinner it is.

I went straight from work, so I was wearing my "classy" clothes. (Our uniform consists of a ratty old t-shirt you don't care about and scrub pants of black, olive, or grey.) I decided I didn't want to be in those duds anymore, plus, I needed new jeans, so I went to my favorite store, quite close to Five Guys. Ross. I love Ross! I walked in, found jeans, a cute tee, and was on my way. Yes, I changed in my car, which is always an adventure. I never think to sit in the passenger seat, since there are no pedals and there isn't a steering wheel, until AFTER I have my old pants folded and on the seat, ready to put the new ones on. I wiggled and squirmed, and was dressed again before any on-lookers could notice what was going on and gawk in horror. Good times, good times. Plus, I found an amazing t-shirt featuring rock, paper, and scissors. Scissors is taking over the world of chance.

I got into my non-grub clothes, and went into the burger joint. Not many people were there, which I found surprising, seeing as how it was Friday night. Eh, I had heard from numerous sources that this was the place to go for a good burger, so I approached the counter. I stared at the menu, and the nice guy behind the register asked if I had ever been there before. I told him no, and he went on the explain the workings of the place. A regular burger has one patty, a little burger only has one. There were a few choices from burger to cheeseburger to bacon burger to bacon cheeseburger. All of the toppings are free. I ordered the little bacon cheeseburger with everything or "all the way" as the menu board stated. Tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, mustard and ketchup. Along with an order of fries and a drink, I was ready to go. I sat and waited while my order was prepared, and noticed that there were boxes of roasted peanuts all over the dining room with little paper "boats" to fill. I found it interesting, but I didn't take any. I've had peanuts. My number was called, I was handed my greasy paper bag, and I was off again.

I was tantalized all the way home by the delicious smells and aromas. I jammed along to Glee to distract my nose. Sometimes I wonder what people think of me when they see me from their car, belting out whatever is on the radio. Huh. Once in my own dining room, I put all of my food on a real plate. There were so many fries, I had to give half of them to my parents, who were watching "Monk" close by. I started with the fries, which were delicious. Just the right amount of salt, and probably cut on the premises. Still had the peel on. So good. After a few fries, I dug into the burger. It was quite good. The onions were perfectly grilled (I don't like raw onions, but I love cooked ones), the mushrooms were cooked just enough, but not soggy, the tomato was still chilled, and the pickles weren't too pickly. And I was glad I got the smaller sandwich, because it was still pretty big. Finger-licking burger and fries, washed down with a glass of milk. (I drank my diet Coke on the way home.) A good dinner, but we'll have to see how In and Out compares to see who comes out victorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment