Monday, October 18, 2010

Sushi!

Annie and I decided that Friday night (October 15) would be a good time for me to try sushi. We arranged to meet up with our sister Natalie and her husband, Mike at Tokai Sushi 4U. Annie had been there before, and told us that even though the place looked a little sketchy, it was good sushi. I, having never eaten the stuff, trusted her judgement.

This particular restaurant has a special that runs on Fridays and Saturdays: buy one, get one free. I had been instructed earlier in the day by my boss, Katie, what was good and what to stay away from. We each ordered two rolls, so I chose the cucumber roll and the crunch dragon roll. We also had the WOW roll, the rainbow roll, the crunch rainbow roll, the honey roll, the dragon roll, and another one I can't remember. I was brave and tried them all. I didn't see the point in trying sushi if I wasn't going to TRY sushi.

I liked the WOW roll, and some of the other ones weren't so bad. One in particular, although I can't remember which one specifically, nearly made me gag. It wasn't the taste of the thing, but the texture of the raw fish I couldn't get past. But, I tried it with both feet in, and now I can officially say that I don't particularly care for sushi. At least not the ones with large amounts of raw fish on top. I think my poor nephew, Jared, would have to agree. He's only 8 months old, so Natalie was giving him a bit of the rice left over from some of the rolls. I think that if it had been appropriate, I would have made the same face he did with some of the things I tasted that night. But, I'm glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment