Monday, October 18, 2010

Sky Coaster

On our way home from the candy factory, we were discussing what we would do for the rest of the day. As I talked about in a previous post, we tried letterboxing with the kids, but to no avail. We decided that since the kids my sister watches have season passes to Lagoon (both of their parents are in senior management there), I would take the oldest, who is 13, and we would go and ride the Sky Coaster.

After lunch and naps, Jessica and I, along with her little brother, Jackson, jumped in the Jeep and headed down to Lagoon. We dropped off Jackson at his dad's office, Jessica got a ticket for the Sky Coaster from him, and we walked over to the ride. We got in line, and Jessica's cousin showed up in line right after us. While we were waiting, we helped him and his friend decide who would get to pull the rip cord. Maybe I should explain the ride a little bit. It is basically a gigantic playground swing. You are strapped into a harness, attached to a cable, and hauled up to the top. They then tell you to pull the rip cord, which releases you into a free-fall. Imagine a three-year-old climbing into a swing at the playground, the father pulling back on the swing as high as he can to get the momentum started, and then he lets go. Pulling the rip cord is a big deal. Some people can't stand the idea of being responsible for plunging themselves into oblivion, others love the exhilaration. I had decided I would be the one to fling us into the great beyond.

Once we reached the front of the line, we were fitted and strapped into our harnesses, which pretty much cover the entire front of your body with a sling. They took us out the the platform, where the previous riders had just finished and were being unhooked from the cable. We boarded the platform, they raised the sides, and the platform was raised to let the previous riders stand up again. We traded places with them, were strapped to each other and hooked up to the cable, and our arms were linked. Then they lowered the platform. I think that was the worst part of the whole ride. When they lower the platform, you are now attached to the cable you will be swinging from, thus, when they drop the ground out from under you, you don't go with it. Being strapped into the harness and attached to the cable, your feet are no longer there to hold you up, so an abrupt change from vertical to horizontal is a bit disorienting. One of the operators instructed us that we were to keep our arms linked until we passed the platform for the first time, and then we could "spread our wings and fly." We then began our assent. Again, a bit disheartening, because you are face down, watching the ground slowly shrink away from you. I kept thinking to myself, "We have to be getting to the top, right? I SWEAR it wasn't this high..." I finally just closed my eyes so I couldn't see how high up we really were. Then, we jolted into position at top, and I heard the ride operator over the loudspeaker yell, "Three, two, one, FLY!"

My eyes were still closed, so by feel I reached down and found the handle for the rip cord. Before I could think about what I was doing, I gave it a good, hard tug and felt myself plummeting to the ground. I screamed like a little girl, clinging to Jessica's arm. My scream ended in an, "OH MY GOSH!!!!" As we reached the top of the swing on the other side, Jessica was yelling at me to let go. I told her no way, but in a few seconds, I did. The scary part was over, so we swung back and forth, enjoying ourselves. As we got unstrapped and off of the platform, the girl there to assist us asked me, "So, was this your first time?" I guess I screamed THAT loud.... She then asked me if I would do it again. Definitely!

This was probably the most exciting "new adventure" I have done up to this point. I think I'll need to do it again before the park closes for the winter. I wonder if Jessica will go with me, or if her arm will have recovered by then?

No comments:

Post a Comment